Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Getting Out of My Own Way

Today after work, I headed to the gym.  I even packed my gym bag this morning and brought it along with me, so I wouldn't have to stop home.  My plan was to run/walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes (I'm still following the Couch to 5K plan), then lift for about 30 minutes (I'm also still following the The New Rules of Lifting for Women plan), and then if I had it in me, maybe 20 minutes on the elliptical.  

When I got to the gym and opened up my gym bag, I noticed that these were the shoes I had brought along.  As you can see from the picture, they are EXTREMELY worn.  I haven't used these in over 6 months.  I can't imagine why I had grabbed these (or why I still have them), but I did (and I do).  

No problem though.  Not having the perfect shoes was not going to stop me from having a good workout.  So, I put the shoes on and headed out to the treadmill.  As I got the treadmill going, I went to put in the earbuds to my iPod and they looked like this.

Seriously?!?! I thought about going back to the locker room to see if the other "bud" was in my gym bag but I was already on the treadmill and it was busy at the gym so I didn't want to risk losing the one I had snatched.  

There was a learning lesson here though.  What I realized from the not-so-great start to my workout was this -  I am the only one that can get in my way.  Old shoes and a missing earbud are only excuses and have nothing to do with getting in a good workout.  So, I did my run with only one earbud.  I lifted heavier than I ever have before, even though my shoes were worn.  I went back to the locker room and found the other earbud in my gym bag.  So, I went back out and did a hard 20 minutes on the elliptical.  It was a good workout. 

When I got home from the gym, I was so hungry.  Lately, I've been on this kick of throwing random things together and calling them a salad.  Here was the combo tonight.  

It actually turned out quite well.  Then again, I'm not picky.  

After my "salad", I enjoyed the last of the chicken tikka masala.  I was a little sad to see it go - it was REALLY good (at least I thought so - I think Jake would tell you differently).
Oh, and obviously I'm not one of those people who thinks cilantro tastes like soap.

I finished off dinner with a delicious Weight Watchers Ice Cream Bar.  They are NOT cheap, but I usually have a $1.00 off coupon for them so I justify the purchase because they are so satisfying and do not taste "diety" at all.

Now, it's time to relax for the rest of the evening.  I think it's well deserved!



5 comments:

  1. Good for you! One of those things would have stopped me--well, not the earbud, because I've had that happen.

    I'm becoming a fan of broccoli slaw myself--I've been adding it to my lunch salad to bulk it up. Yum and crunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melinda! I've found that having a salad before lunch and dinner is a great way not to overeat. I get tired of the same old salads all the time though, so it's fun to experiment and try new things.

      Delete
  2. I love WW ice cream treats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!!! I have really gone home after getting to the gym and realizing I forgot my ear buds. Life happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that ear bud thing happened to me, and i was looking around the tredmill like how did this fall off? it was dark by the time i left the gym, and i walked to my car disappointed i lost the little cushion. and i spoted it on the ground (hard to see a black ear bud piece at night time) i was so happy to have found it.
    i go the WW caramel mini cones, and just about cried (i didnt realize they were mini). then my husband made fun of me for eating a tiny ice cream. those are expensive.

    ReplyDelete